VCW established committees in these priority areas to study issues and to make recommendations to the full commission: Civil and Legal Rights, Economic Equity & Security; Education & Human Development; and Health & Safety. Each one of our 16 Commissioners must serve on a committee, and VCW’s Chair appoints Commissioners to serve as Committee Chairs. Committees are made up of commissioners, advisors, and other community members, and are appointed by the VCW Chair. The VCW Chair also appoints chairs of each committee. The VCW Chair may also appoint ad hoc committees from time to time to address a particular need that falls outside the scope of the standing committees.
VCW committees work within and outside of monthly commission meetings to address issues of importance to the mission of VCW. Committees will consider topics that fall under their general area and may, among other activities:
- Review VCW policy positions and recommend updates and changes to the full commission
- Provide information and research to contribute to policy briefs and other educational materials developed by staff
- Bring new issues to the attention of staff and commissioners
- Review emerging issues and identify information, resources, guest speakers, questions, etc. that the commission may need
- Recommend action for the commission to take in response to information presented and discussions happening at commission meetings
- Identify key issues and questions relating to proposed or pending legislation
Committees generally meet by phone or video outside of commission meetings.
Each committee is supported by a dedicated staff member, who will help facilitate meeting operations, including scheduling, warning, and posting of minutes.
All Committee meetings are open to the public. Please contact Hannah Lane for conference call information.